Crystals Used in Jewellery for Babies and Children

Jennifer Gregory

From my research, Australia is following other Western nations in ridding toxic metals in children's toys and jewellery.  Fortunately the rules have been tightened in the USA and as a result, suppliers of baby jewellery and children's jewellery are keen to remove anything toxic from their products in order to be able to continue supplying the US.  It is only recently it has been discovered that dangers lurk in some metals and crystals, not dangerous to adults, but to kids under the age of 12, who put things in their mouths.

Crystals have come under scrutiny and it appears the problem lies in a child under 12 actually sucking on the crystal, and therby ingesting lead.  Swarovski crystals have been removed from children's earrings, baby bracelets etc., in fact all children's jewellery, replaced by lead-free Czech crystals which are just as pretty.  This has been achieved even though Swarovski crystals have a binding coating to actually prevent the leaching of lead and are actually safe.  

Manufacturers are keen to distance themselves from anything containing a metal that's toxic to babies and children.

The problem lies more in the dubious alloy of metals and crystals found in cheap (but pretty) children's jewellery sold on stands in department stores, usually near the checkout where children are attracted by the colours and designs, which are, admittedly, very sweet.  The paints used in some children's toys can also contain lead.  

Please note it's not the wearing of the contaminated jewellery that places our kids at risk, or by playing with the toy, but if a child somehow sucks on it, it can raise their blood lead levels to dangerous levels.  We must always be on the look out for risks to our children, wherever they lurk. 


Older Post Newer Post